[MMWiki] Confluence to MoinMoin Wiki converter

Bradley Dean bjdean at bjdean.id.au
Thu Mar 29 15:03:46 EST 2012

Hi Paul,

we have indeed stalled - really at the moment we've produced the
confluence -> moinmoin markup mapping on the moinmo.in wiki (thanks for
your help with that) and we have a very crude first pass at extracting
meaningful structure from the XML export.

The XML, as I've mentioned in emails to this list, is quite nasty and I
ran out of time back when I was working on this actively before I got a
satisfactory extraction up and going.

There was a bit of a conversation going about the logical structure of
the converter. At the time it felt like the idea was that if the
converter ran in three phases (xml -> in-memory structure, structure
mapping and then moinmoin markup (or moinmoin dom as per the next
version of moinmoin)) then multiple people could work concurrently on
those areas.

As nothing really came of that I've been thinking that if I had the time
I'd like to get the XML extract sorted out and write as simple a
converter into moinmoin markup as possible, rather than swelling too
much on a more complicated structure.

If you wanted to you could grab the source as it is and see if it makes
any sense to you (I'm happy to answer questions about what I was up to).
We've also mostly looked at markup rather than the moinmoin import
process. If we were going with version 1.9 the process looked manual but
quite easy (ie the directory and file structure is pretty easy to
mimic). For version 2 the idea was that the API would do all the work
and that the MoinMoin DOM would take away the problem of building the
actual markup - the downside being that it's not stable yet.

Cheerio,

  Brad